We are pleased and excited that you have chosen to take on the responsibility of wearing orthodontic appliances. One of your main responsibilities will be the care and cleaning of your teeth and appliances during the course of your treatment. Good oral hygiene is a must at all times and especially during orthodontic treatment. Because plaque sticks to all surfaces of your teeth and to your appliances, special care must be taken to ensure a healthy smile free from decay and disease
We recommend the following steps:
- Brush your teeth and gums after each meal and at bedtime using a soft bristled toothbrush. Make sure that you spend enough time in each area to remove plaque and food debris. Don’t forget to brush your tongue.
- Toothbrushing alone won’t clean the surfaces between your teeth and so we recommend flossing at least once a day. Use the floss by threading it under the arch wire to reach all areas.
- A waterpik can help to improve your oral hygiene while in treatment. It should be noted that the waterpik does not replace daily brushing and flossing but helps to loosen and rinse away food that collects on your teeth and braces.
- Use a fluoride rinse after cleaning each day. The fluoride will help strengthen the enamel of your teeth and prevent decay.
- Be sure to schedule regular six-month check-ups with your general dentist during orthodontic treatment.
At each appointment, we will evaluate the condition of your gums and look for plaque and food debris. We will score your oral hygiene. A score of “A” is ideal, a score of “C” is average with room for improvement and a score of “F” is unacceptable and means that your teeth are susceptible to decay. Treatment will be delayed for anyone continuing to neglect their oral hygiene and they will be referred back to their dentist until a more satisfactory result is obtained. We reserve the right to discontinue treatment if oral hygiene is not maintained to an acceptable level. The special way we check your teeth and braces enables us to tell if you have only brushed your teeth before your appointment or if you have been brushing faithfully all the time.
Your commitment and enthusiasm in the following these steps will ensure a healthy,Happy smile.
3932 24th Street | San Francisco, CA 94114
ph. 415.678.5445 | fax. 415.796.2761